Refactoring Test Suite Results for Visual Studio 2015

Last Friday I updated the test results for my C++ refactoring test suite to include results from Visual Studio 2015 Update 1. Visual Studio 2015 is the first release of Visual Studio to support refactoring for native C++ projects without any additional add-ons. Prior to Update 1, Visual Studio requried a free add-on for Extract Function and Extract Method, but this has since been folded into Update 1 and made available to all Visual Studio users. Extract Function and Change Signature are disabled by default and can be enabled in Tools / Options / Text Editor / C/C++ / Refactoring.

Read the rest of this entry »

Refactoring Test Results for CLion 140-1221.2

I ran through a bunch of refactorings in the latest early access program (EAP) build of JetBrains CLion using my refactoring test suite, now hosted on github.

Summary

Refactoring % Passing Passed Failed
Add/Remove Block Delimiters 46.16% 6 7
Change Signature 100% 11 0
Compress To/Expand From Ternary Expression 69.24% 9 4
Create Method Stub 54.55% 12 10
Create Setter Method 66.67% 20 10
Extract Function 73.69% 14 5
Extract Method 5% 1 19
Extract Parameter 40% 2 3
Flatten Conditional 100% 1 0
Inline Macro 83.34% 5 1
Inline Recent Assignment 0% 0 2
Inline Result 0% 0 5
Inline Variable 22.23% 2 7
Introduce Constant 30.77% 4 9
Introduce Local 66.67% 4 2
Move Method 29.73% 11 26
Remove Unused Parameters 100% 3 0
Rename 77.09% 74 22
Simplify Boolean Expression 100% 13 0
Split Initialization From Declaration 81.82% 9 2
Split Multi-Variable Declaration 100% 19 0

The overall score card looks quite promising, particularly for an early access build that isn’t guaranteed to work at all. The general impression I got was that the refactoring support is better than other tools I have tried. It did much better with pointers to functions, pointers to class members, and references to class members than other refactoring tools. It did a good job of recognizing the appropriate scope for identifiers and properly performed well on rename operations, even when combined with using statements.

Read the rest of this entry »